Friday, June 7, 2013

Impatiens Balsamina (Rose Balsam) VS. Himalayan Balsam

June 6th, 2013
Ottawa City, Ontario, Canada


I have been asked recently if kamantigui, touch-me-not,  rose balsam (Impatiens balsamina) is perennial here in my Zone 5b. The answer is No.

Many people has mistaken the impatiens balsamina as the himalayan balsam, which is also known as Poor Mans orchid, and touch-me-not (exploding seed pods), and is considered invasive and tall, and keeps coming back.

Well - i tell you. Both rose balsam and himalayan balsam have exploding seed pods. They both look the same. However, the rose balsam will not grow tall, maybe 3 feet is the tallest I have seen. And rose balsam flowers does not survive freezing cold. In fact, I tried winter sowing the seeds of rose balsam and none showed up.

Himalayan Balsam grows tall, the one in my backyard was like 5 feet at least. and it was pretty, but of course, the seeds did not survive because I was tilling my soil in spring...and none showed up. They said Himalayan balsam is invasive, but "no show" in my garden.
None so far here, I would love to see it come back.


http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/plants-terrestrial/himalayan-balsam/


|Rose Balsam 2013 seedlings

Rose Balsam Seedlings

rose balsam seedlings 2013

rose balsam 2012 (fall)

No comments:

Post a Comment