Sunday, June 16, 2013

Pineapple Sage

Ottawa City, Ontario, Canada
June 16, 2013

Pineapple Sage
Salvia elegans

I was fascinated by anything with Pineapple in it, you can guess right. I grew up around pineapple - sweet and prickly fruit which taste very yummy.

So, as I browse Loblaws garden center, I saw Pineapple sage, I picked it up and came home staring at it. It looks so different the than the other sage, the leaves are pointy as opposed to oblong with Common Sage.

USES of SAGE FOR ME

And guess what? it is suppose to have red flowers (hummingbird's favorite) . I cannot wait till it flowers.

And of course, the leaves are edible. Think of garnishing my stir fries? I always use the young leaves to add to my summer stove top cooking! try it, the flavor is mild and aromatic.

It is known to have anti-depressant properties...so on dull winters, I could use this one. I think I will really bring this plant inside for winter. :) Tea infusion is something on my list!
Oh dear sage...

Also, excellent when mixed with lemon balm for steep tea. Awesomeness - that is why I have lots of Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) around me.

And another cool refreshing drink is Blackberry sage. This is made of infusion of sage leaves and blackberries. Think flavored water. The way I do it, I chopped sage leaves and add blackberries to it. Add ice cubes, let is sit...stir and there goes naturally flavored water. I know my aunt like to strain her water after 3 hours, she does not like floating leaves and berries in her summer drink.


The stems are of reddish/burgundy hues, just like the Tri-color sage which I also own.

My pineapple sage, this picture show reddish/burgundy stems.

my pineapple sage, this picture shows the pointy leaves as opposed to oblong. 
So, hello summer...and welcome Pineapple Sage to my garden!


PROPAGATION/PLANT CUTTINGS:
And I took 3 cuttings, stick it in dirt. Of the 3 of them, is now flourishing. So, if you got harsh winter (Zone 5b here), you can take cuttings in the fall, to save buying for the next season.


Totally loving this Pineapple Sage. looking forward to many recipes for the season with Pineapple sage.
Nutrients in Sage (1)  2.00 tsp [1.4 grams)
sage contains a variety of volatile oils, flavonoids (including apigenin, diosmetin, and luteolin), and phenolic acids, including the phenolic acid
Vitamin K - 30%. Vitamin K is an essential nutrients, some even take supplements for it.
Vitamin K (2) is a fat-soluble vitamin that is most well known for the important role it plays in blood clotting. However, vitamin K is also absolutely essential to building strong bones, preventing heart disease, and crucial part of other bodily processes. In fact, vitamin K is sometimes referred to as "the forgotten vitamin" because its major benefits are often overlooked.

Totally loving this Pineapple Sage. Looking forward to many recipes for the season with Pineapple sage.


References:

(1) Worlds Healthiest Foods http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=76
(2) Mercola.com - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/03/24/vitamin-k-part-two.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment