Sunday, December 4, 2022

Saturday - Asparagus, Sunchokes and clean up

 Dec 3, 2022 Saturday

2C, and dark clouds

3763 Farmers Way NORTH,  Ottawa Ontario

another 5 hours of work in the farmfield, here is what I had accomplished. 

It was still a good weather - maybe 5 degrees C. I managed to put mulch over the asparagus and i planted the rest of the sunchokes for windblock on the farmers way side. It was not much, a 1 gallon bucket of tubers.  I dug these tubers from the mature side, just near the house. Our goal is to populate the farm with useful food staples and start windblocks on all side. 

All around us are major cash crop fields so it is empty in the winter, and the wind is so strong. If affect us badly, all our containers are blown away, nevermind that we do not have a barn anymore. 

These winds never affect the cash crop farmers - because they do not live here, but we do. Our farmhouse is connected to our 10 acre organic veggie farm. 

Our farm is a little triangle: one side is Leitrem road, Russel Road and Farmers Way. Our house is on the edge of the farm, located on the side of Farmers  Way

Over on the Russel Rd side, I found the walking onions and I planted them along the raspberry rows. 

I also gathered 3 Douglas Fir,  planted them with some sunchokes and pumpkin seeds around it. 

I burned some debris of old wood from the storm  to keep myself warm. 

About 1pm, it rained and I got a visit from my friend Lori and her dog koko. Overall, it was a good work for the farm. 

We have Haidee clean the house, there was a power out around 4pm and it came back around 5pm. For one hour, that sucks as I realize I do not have candle ready. or even kerosense gas. I haver some headlamp, which will probably ran out of battery.

We drop Haidee back to her place and we went to home depot. 

I spend the last part of the day with Kyle, go for some home depot errands and some driving over Tatlock road, just to un-wind for the day and enjoy our new Rav4. 


No comments:

Post a Comment