Monday, July 30, 2012

Minneola Seedlings (Citrus x tangelo)

July 30, 2012-Monday
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I bought some Minneola last March 2012, and I end up with seeds. I spit it out and put in 4 inch pot and see what happens.

I am busy with other plants, and I found them germinating, I have no idea when, but yesterday, I transferred them to their individual pots. I re-call bringing the pot outside around May, because I saw something coming out. Since then, it was just mingling with all the vegetable pots outside.

I am equally excited about the potential of this fruit, but it also means I need more space indoors to overwinter them. They look nice with shiny leaves. The seedlings grow at a different rate, some are at 6 inches while there are few that are like 3 inches.

A wikipedia picture of Tangelo (Citrus x tangelo hybrid) tangerine x pomelo


Here is the Wikipedia enty on Minneola:
"The tangelo (play /ˈtænəl/ TAN-jə-loh; C. reticulata × C. maxima or x C. paradisi), Citrus × tangelo, is a citrus fruit hybrid of tangerine and pomelo or grapefruit. Widely known as honeybells,[citation needed] tangelos are the size of an adult fist, have a tangerine taste, and are juicy at the expense of flesh. They generally have loose skin and are easier to peel than oranges,[1] readily distinguished from them by a characteristic "nipple" at the stem."


8 seedlings of citrus x tangelo - Minneola

the slow growing batch of the citrus x tangelo seedlings

the stronger seedlings - look at the glossy leaves

Question: what are you gonna do with these seedlings? 

Maybe keep one or two for myself and sell the rest?

How much would you pay for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment