Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Gardening Mistake

May 1, 2013

Ottawa, ON Canada.

The list of gardening mistake will get longer anytime soon. But then, I have to take note of these, so others can learn from my mistakes and make one of their own.

1. Dumping soil over perennial beds - well, once the tomato died, and the beans in pots died in the fall, I tried to  get rid of the soil quick and fast, so I can put the pots aside.
 I dumped them in the perennial beds. Very bad idea. I have to dig up the soil again, since the perennial was taking forever to come out. Worst, I accidentally cut off tulips, hyacinthus and some liliums. Ouch!

2. Planting Beans in Pellet with Heat Mat - Beans germinate no matter what, even directly sown outdoors is best. For some reason, my daughter like helping mommy, so she put a bean seed in a tray that goes under light with heat mat. The peppers beside it germinated in 3 days. The beans - moldy!
Curios - I tried putting beans in a fresh new pellet and see what happened. 3 days - beans got moldy again.
Beans germinate everywhere, in a cup of soil, directly in the garden BUT never in a heat mat. And I thought they love heat - not when germinating. Anyone have tried this?
I put some soil in a Tim Horton's coffee cup - and put it in my basement. It germinated in 5-7 days. I sown beans outdoors last year, seedlings came to life in 3 days.

3. Peeling off |Peat Pellets - If you are using Pellets, to avoid mess, never peel the pellets. While I thought this was just me and Karlina, my friend Manuel did it too. SO, I thought I should let all of you know that you remove the peel only before putting your plants in the garden bed, not when starting your seed indoors.

4. To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment