Saturday, June 2, 2012

Growing Peanut (Arachis hypogea)

June 12, 2012. This is how much she have grown, taken after the rain.
June 2, 2012 - My peanut germinated!
June 2, 2012

The peanut, or groundnut (Arachis hypogaea), is  a plant, root crop that I have seen while growing up. There is always a farm around me growing peanuts in the Philippines.

 In Canada, especially Zone 5B, it maybe counter productive to grow it because it needs 5 warm months. So, if I started it now, then it won't be harvested till November. And it is already cold in October, let alone November?
But who cares? I will try it anyway in a pot.

It needs acidic soil too, so coffee grounds need to be added to the soil as often.
So, here is my peanut, one germinated today, moved to 6 inch pot. I figure I needed at least 3 gallon for one peanut, so at least I can have some yeild. If no yield, at least it is fun and I can actually show my kids what a peanut plant look like.


May 27, 2012 - Propagated in peat pellets










No comments:

Post a Comment